Various miscellanea. The
purl.org references are
the persistent URLs which are the preferred references for these
pages, in preference to the URLs which they resolve to.
- `Data' is a singular noun. It is a grammatical and
stylistic error to use `data' as a plural.
- Notes on how to create conference posters using LaTeX.
- OSX and the restFP/saveFP problem: a description of the
restFP/saveFP problem when doing mixed-language
development using Fortran on OSX, along with some non-voodoo
- Intelligent access to foreign data: The obvious, and
current, solution to the problem of exchanging data
structures is to convert data into and out of a consensus
model, but this is now labouring under the burdens of
complication and often unhappy compromises. These are some
notes on a possible alternative approach. The notes are rather
rough, but I expect to tighten them up in the near future, so
think of this as a sort of pre-preprint.
- CVS Primer: a fast introduction, aimed at those who want to
do basic work with a repository, rather than those who want
the full story. Includes pointers to other
- RDF Introduction: Introduction to RDF focusing on
practicalities rather than the computer-theoretic underlying
ideas. The latter are attractive, but not the first thing
many folk now want to know about. The introduction
concentrates on astronomy, though will, I hope, be useful in
- XML Overview: introduction to XML for techies.
Presentation at the Starlink System Managers' Meeting,
Peterborough, 2002 October 29.
University Coalition for Justice not War
Older material. These are definitely long in the tooth (the
first one talks of XML as `coming soon'!), but might be a curiousity.